Suitably qualified third parties

Supporting applications for children and young people 

From mid-2023 a self-identification process will be available for people, including children and young people, to amend the sex on their birth certificate.

This process is especially important to transgender, non-binary, takatāpui and intersex people.

Children and young people need a letter of support from a third party to amend the sex on their birth certificate.

The role of a third party will be to provide independent assurance that the child, or young person:

  • understands what it means to amend the sex on their birth certificate; and
  • it is something the child or young person wants to do.

The third party is not assessing if the change is in the best interests of the child or young person, or if they physically conform to their gender.

We want your views on third parties. More information about third parties, including how to make a submission is available here: Recognising gender on birth certificates

A video with further information about third parties is below:

Questions about third parties

Can anyone be a third party?

There is a requirement in the Act that the types of persons who can act as a third party have:

sufficient professional or community standing


have known the child or young person for a period of time to indicate they have a sufficiently enduring relationship.

A third party must be over the age of 18.

Does a third party have to support a child or young person’s application?

The law does not oblige anyone to provide a letter of support – a person can decline.

What does it mean to provide a letter of support?

The letter of support will enable a child or young person to use a birth certificate that reflects their gender. Regardless of what is on the birth certificate, individuals, organisations, and agencies (e.g. schools, medical centres, and sporting bodies) can continue to rely on their own policies and procedures to determine a person’s sex or gender.

People will be able to amend the sex on their birth certificate more than once, so a child or young person could reverse their decision.