Resource material › Our Policy Advice Areas › General Policy
The Department's Policy group is responsible for providing administrative and strategic policy advice to the Minister of Internal Affairs and the Government for a number of different Acts. See also: Identity Policy.
LegislationBoxing and Wrestling Act 1981The Department administers the Boxing and Wrestling Act 1981. View a list of Boxing/wrestling associations approved by the Minister of Internal Affairs.
Inquiries Act 2013
- This Act provides for the Government to establish government and public inquiries into matters of public importance and provides inquiries with the powers they may need to do their job
- The Act also extends these powers to Royal Commissions established under the Letters Patent
- The Act was developed as a result of work undertaken by the Law Commission. For the Law Commission’s report, please see the Law Commission's website
- For guidelines and links to recent inquiries, please see Public and Government Inquiries
- A number of other enactments provide for bodies to have the powers of a commission of inquiry under the Commissions of Inquiry Act 1908, which is also administered by the Department
- Cabinet paper and minute (pdf 1Mb)
- This Act protects the 1974 Christchurch Commonwealth Games Symbol from misuse and provides that the Minister of Internal Affairs must consent before the symbol can be used
- If you would like to use the symbol, please contact the Minister of Internal Affairs by writing freepost c/o Parliament Buildings, Wellington
- The Act specifies that New Zealand standard time is set 12 hours ahead of Universal Co-ordinated Time (often known as Greenwich Mean Time) and that the Chatham Islands is 45 minutes ahead of the rest of New Zealand
- The Act also provides the power to set a period of New Zealand daylight time, where clocks move forward one hour
- For more information, please see Daylight Saving