- Births, Deaths and Marriages - Whanautanga, Matenga, Marenatanga
- Forms, Fees and Information Brochures
- Civil Unions
- Get a Death, Marriage, Civil Union or Name Change Certificate
- Get a Birth Certificate
- Name Change
- Family History Records
- Births, Deaths & Marriages Online
- How to Contact Us
Services › Births Deaths and Marriages › Marriages
- Return to Births, Deaths and Marriages home page
- Find out the legal requirements for getting married
- Apply for a marriage licence
- Locate a Marriage Celebrant
- Obtain information about how a marriage is registered
- Request a marriage certificate
- Documentation for overseas use
- Order certificates and printouts over the Internet via Births, Deaths and Marriages Online
- Find information on getting married overseas
- Find information about recognition of an overseas relationship in New Zealand
- Apply to be appointed as a Marriage Celebrant
- Obtain application forms and find the associated fees
- Find answers to frequently asked questions regarding marriages
- Contact us
Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Act 2013The Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Act will come into force on 19 August 2013.
Summary of changes within the Amendment Act:
- The Amendment Act specifies that a marriage is between two people regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- As a result of this change, it is expected that same-sex married couples will be eligible, under the Adoption Act 1955, to apply jointly to adopt a child.
- The Amendment Act clarifies that no marriage celebrant of a religious body or an approved organisation is obliged to solemnise a marriage would contravene the religious beliefs of the religious body or the religious beliefs or philosophical or humanitarian convictions of the approved organisation.
- The Amendment Act enables transgender people to continue to be married regardless of their gender identity.
For more information see our Marriage Amendment Act - Questions & Answers.
Changes to network of Registry OfficesIn March 2013, there were a number of changes to the network of Registry Offices that provide marriage and civil union-related registry services. Futher information is provided in this 'Notice of March 2013 changes to marriage and civil union Registry Offices' (PDF, 3 pages, 903kb)
Registry Office ceremonies are now available in HendersonA Registrar is now available in Henderson to perform marriage and civil union Registry Office ceremonies on Fridays between 10.00am and 3.30pm at our new location at the Hubwest in Henderson, Auckland.
For bookings you will need to make prior arrangements at one of our Auckland offices when giving notice of your intended marriage or civil union.