The Department of Internal Affairs

The Department of Internal Affairs

Te Tari Taiwhenua

Building a safe, prosperous and respected nation


Services › Births Deaths and Marriages › How to Get a Marriage Licence

What is a Marriage?

A marriage is the formalisation of a relationship between between 2 people, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity, in accordance with the Marriage Act 1955. The Marriage Act 1955 provides the criteria, rules and processes for 2 people to have their relationship solemnised as a marriage (by way of a formal ceremony) and officially registered in New Zealand.

Anybody can marry in New Zealand, as long as they are legally free to marry. Under New Zealand law this means that:
  • They are not already married or in a civil union with a person other than the person they will be marrying (or if they have been married, the marriage has been dissolved by a court of law).
  • They are old enough (16 or over, although parental consent is required if either party is 16 or 17 years old).
  • They are not closely related by blood, marriage, civil union or adoption. Details of these "prohibited" marriages appear on the form 'Notice of Intended Marriage', which is used to apply for a marriage licence.
If you do not live in New Zealand, you should check with the authorities in the place where you normally live to see if there are any special steps you must take or rules that apply when you marry in New Zealand.

If for any reason you wish to confirm that your overseas marriage is valid in New Zealand you may apply to the Family Court for a declaration as to the validity of the marriage. Contact a lawyer to discuss whether it is necessary to obtain a declaration.
Back to top

Marriage Ceremony

There are 2 types of marriage ceremony:
  • A ceremony solemnised by a Registrar of Marriages in a Registry Office. Registry Office ceremonies are not open to the public; and
  • A ceremony solemnised by an authorised Marriage Celebrant at a place other than a Registry Office. There is no legal requirement that a ceremony before a marriage celebrant be open to the public.
Registry Office ceremonies take place during normal office hours, but you can have a marriage celebrant perform your marriage ceremony at any time, on any day of the week.

During the ceremony before a marriage celebrant, and before at least 2 witnesses, each party must say the words "I AB, take you CD, to be my legal wife/husband" or words to similar effect.

If having a Registry Office ceremony before a Registrar of Marriages, and before at least 2 witnesses, each party must say the words "I AB, take you CD, to be my legal wife/husband". Please be aware if you are considering having a Registry Office ceremony, that they are standardised to meet the legislative requirements of getting married, which includes standard marriage vows.
Back to top

What You Need to do Before You Can Get Married

For a guide to help you in your preparations to marry in New Zealand, download our brochure Getting Married: a guide for couples preparing to get married in New Zealand.

Decide when and where you want to get married

You will need to know when and where you want to get married when you complete your application for a marriage licence. You should also choose an alternative venue in the event that the weather prevents you from marrying at your primary venue.

Choose a Marriage Celebrant

In New Zealand you must be married by an appointed marriage celebrant. This may be a Registrar of Marriages, an independent marriage celebrant, a minister of a church or a person connected with an approved organisation. Contact a Registrar of Marriages for a list of appointed marriage celebrants.

You will need to contact your marriage celebrant and agree on a time and place before applying for your marriage licence.

Get a Marriage Licence

To get a licence you will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage application form. If either of you have been married or in a civil union before, and the marriage or civil union has been dissolved, you may be asked to produce evidence of the dissolution (e.g. Divorce/Dissolution Order) when you give notice to the Registrar. If your previous spouse or partner has died you do not have to produce evidence of their death, but you will have to give the date of death on the Notice of Intended Marriage.

Make a Statutory Declaration

As part of completing the application form for a marriage licence, you need to make a statutory declaration. Either you or your partner will need to make a formal statutory declaration that there is no lawful impediment to the marriage (i.e. no legal reason that you both cannot be married), that the details given are true, that both parties are not within the "prohibited degrees of relationship" and that consent has been given (where relevant).

If you live in New Zealand one of you must make this declaration in the presence of a Registrar of Marriages. Contact us for your nearest Registrar.

If both of you live outside of New Zealand:

Consent to Enter into a Marriage

To get married both parties to the marriage must be at least 16 years of age. If either party is 16 or 17 years of age, they must obtain consent:
  • You must obtain consent' from each of your guardians (usually your parents) unless they cannot be located or are, as a result of incapacity, unable to give consent.
  • If none of your guardians are able to give consent, you must obtain consent from a relative acting in place of a guardian, or from a Family Court Judge.
  • If your parents or guardians refuse consent, you can apply to a Family Court Judge for consent to get married.
The completed 'Consent to Marriage of a Minor' must be submitted with the 'Notice of Intended Marriage' form.
Back to top

When and How to Apply for a Marriage Licence

You will need to get a marriage licence from a Registrar of Marriages. To apply for a marriage licence one of the parties to the marriage must fill out the appropriate form. Marriage licences are only available for collection during normal opening hours. A marriage licence is only valid for 3 months from the date of issue. During that period you are free to marry at the place specified on the marriage licence. An alternative place of marriage may be specified on the licence, e.g. in the case of bad weather.
Back to top

Paying for Your Marriage Licence

Marriage conducted at the Registry Office
If you wish for your marriage to be conducted by a Registrar of Marriages at the Registry Office, you must pay a fee of NZ$173.70 when you send in or hand over the completed Notice of Intended Marriage form. This includes the fee for the marriage licence and the ceremony. Please discuss with the Registrar at the office where you plan to have the marriage ceremony of the date and time for your ceremony. Remember to include your contact details (e.g. a telephone number in New Zealand or an address) in case the Registrar needs to contact you.

Marriage conducted by a Marriage Celebrant
If you wish for your marriage to be conducted by a Marriage Celebrant, you must pay a fee of NZ$122.60 when you send in or hand over the completed Notice of Intended Marriage form. This includes the fee for the marriage licence but does not include any expenses of the marriage celebrant. The name of the celebrant must be given on the form in order for your licence to be issued. Only those persons appointed by the Registrar-General as Marriage Celebrants and whose names appear in the list of Marriage Celebrants in the New Zealand Gazette or at have authority to solemnise marriages in New Zealand.

How to pay your marriage licence fee
Registry Offices will accept over the counter payments by cheque, cash, New Zealand money order or, in most offices credit card and EFTPOS.

If you are sending the fee by post from outside New Zealand, payment can be made by way of a bank draft (i.e. a bank cheque, which can be purchased at most banks) in New Zealand dollars. Who you make the cheque payable to depends on the Registry Office you intend to send your application to. Please see 'Cheque payments for a New Zealand marriage licence or New Zealand civil union licence' for further information.
Back to top

Collecting and Using Your Marriage Licence

A marriage licence is normally issued no sooner than 3 calendar days (e.g. it may sometimes be 4 or 5 days) after the completed Notice of Intended Marriage form is submitted and the fee has been paid.

You can collect your marriage licence from the Registry Office or you can pay to have it couriered to you. If your ceremony is in less than 5 days, we recommend that you pick your marriage licence up from the Registry Office to avoid the stress of your licence getting lost in transit.

Your marriage licence is valid for 3 months from the date on which it is issued. During that period you are free to marry at the place or places specified on the marriage licence.

If you change your venue before the marriage has taken place, you must advise the Registry Office from where your licence was obtained.

At the conclusion of the ceremony you will be handed a signed copy of one of the 'Copy of Particulars of Marriage'. The other copy will be returned to the issuing Registrar by your marriage celebrant.

Changing a Civil Union to a Marriage

Where a couple are in a civil union, they may change the form of their relationship to a marriage with the same partner without having to formally dissolve their civil union. To do this, you will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage, change of relationship from civil union (BDM 59) form. This form can only be signed before a Registrar of Marriages in New Zealand.
Back to top