Services › Other Services › Congratulatory Message Service
The Congratulatory Message Service is a way of acknowledging people's special anniversaries and birthdays. This service is available to all New Zealand citizens and permanent residents residing in New Zealand. If the person resides outside New Zealand you should provide reasons for consideration as to why a message should be sent. There is no fee for this service.
- Who sends congratulatory messages
- When should you apply
- Information we need
- How to arrange a congratulatory message
- Statistics on the Congratulatory Message Service
- Contact Us
Who sends congratulatory messages
Her Majesty the Queen
Her Excellency The Governor-General
The Prime Minister, the Minister of Internal Affairs and the local Member of Parliament
Minister for Senior's
60th (Diamond) Wedding anniversary
65th, 70th Wedding anniversaries and every anniversary after
Birthdays of 100 years
Birthdays of 101 - 104 years
Birthdays of 105 years and older
When should you applyYou should apply approximately four to eight weeks before the anniversary. If the anniversary is in January you should apply no later than the first week of December.
If we receive a request less than two weeks before the anniversary we will try to send the message before the event but we cannot make any guarantees.
You may request a message be sent after the anniversary, but that can be no later than 6 months after the anniversary date.
Information we need
- Occasion being celebrated (birth or marriage)
- Date of birth or marriage
- If the birth or marriage occurred outside New Zealand attach evidence, if available.
- Full name(s) of the person(s) to whom the message is to be sent
- Preferred first names of the person(s) to whom the message is to be sent
- Home address and address where the message is to be sent if different
- Name of the electorate where the person(s) resides, if known
- Contact details of the person supplying the information
How to arrange a congratulatory messageThe following form should be completed. There is a button at the bottom of the fillable form which attaches the data to an email to be sent to us. This is our preferred format for receiving applications. Alternatively, you can type or handwrite on the fillable form and email or post it to us.
- Congratulatory Message Service application form BDM 457 fillable (pdf 1mb)*
- Congratulatory Message Service application form BDM 457 accessible alternative (txt 2kb)
Statistics on the Congratulatory Message ServiceStatistics for the number of requests completed for each particular occasion celebrated, the anniversary date and the electorate the person receiving the congratulation resides in. These statistics are based on the date the application was received:
Contact usCongratulatory Message Service
Births, Deaths and Marriages
Department of Internal Affairs
PO Box 10526
Phone: (04) 382 3639
Fax: (04) 382 3581