- Citizenship - Raraunga
- Citizenship Application Fees and Forms
- Am I a New Zealand Citizen?
- General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship
- New Zealand Citizenship by Descent
- Approved Translation Agencies
- Denial and Confirmation of New Zealand Citizenship
- Citizenship Online Calculation Tool
- Citizenship Important Notices
- A Brief History About New Zealand Citizenship
- Citizenship Education
- Citizenship policy and procedure
- Citizenship Statistics
- How to Contact Us
Services › Citizenship › New Zealand Citizenship by Descent
Return to Citizenship home page
If you were born outside New Zealand on or after 1 January 1978, and one of your parents was a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth, then you may have a claim to New Zealand citizenship by descent. See details below for:
- Born on or after 1 January 1978
- Born between 1 January 1949 and 31 December 1977
- Born before 1 January 1949
Please help make our website better - take our survey
The Citizenship Office is always looking for ways to make the citizenship experience easier and quicker for you. We are currently thinking about how we can improve our website. We would really appreciate you taking a couple of minutes of your time to answer 7 short questions to help us understand what you think.
Take our short survey.
What is a New Zealand Citizen "Otherwise than by Descent"A person is likely to be a New Zealand citizen "otherwise than by descent" if they:
- Were born in New Zealand.
- Were adopted in New Zealand on or after 1 January 1949 by a New Zealand citizen parent.
- Received the grant of New Zealand citizenship.
- Were born outside New Zealand on or after 1 January 1978 and one parent was a New Zealand citizen who was on overseas service.
- Were a British subject who was born before 1 January 1949 and was:
- ordinarily resident in New Zealand throughout 1948; or
- naturalised in New Zealand before 1949; or
- born in Samoa before 1949; or
- married to a man who automatically became a New Zealand citizen on 1 January 1949.