- Citizenship - Raraunga
- Citizenship Application Fees and Forms
- Am I a New Zealand Citizen?
- General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship
- New Zealand Citizenship by Descent
- Approved Translation Agencies
- Denial and Confirmation of New Zealand Citizenship
- Citizenship Online Calculation Tool
- Citizenship Important Notices
- A Brief History About New Zealand Citizenship
- Citizenship Education
- Citizenship policy
- Citizenship Statistics
- How to Contact Us
Services › Citizenship › New Zealand Citizenship by Descent
Return to Citizenship home page
If you were born outside New Zealand on or after 1 January 1978, and one of your parents was a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth, then you may have a claim to New Zealand citizenship by descent. See details below for:
- Born on or after 1 January 1978
- Born between 1 January 1949 and 31 December 1977
- Born before 1 January 1949
What is a New Zealand Citizen "Otherwise than by Descent"A person is likely to be a New Zealand citizen "otherwise than by descent" if they:
- Were born in New Zealand.
- Were adopted in New Zealand on or after 1 January 1949 by a New Zealand citizen parent.
- Received the grant of New Zealand citizenship.
- Were born outside New Zealand on or after 1 January 1978 and one parent was a New Zealand citizen who was on overseas service.
- Were a British subject who was born before 1 January 1949 and was:
- ordinarily resident in New Zealand throughout 1948; or
- naturalised in New Zealand before 1949; or
- born in Samoa before 1949; or
- married to a man who automatically became a New Zealand citizen on 1 January 1949.